Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You only get 2...

I was reading a magazine at the gym the other day and I saw an article that caught my attention. It was talking about how many "great loves" we get in our lifetime.

I don't remember what I was reading, or how current the issue. For all I know, it could have come from 1985, but I got to thinking, what if it's true, what if we only get 2 "great loves" and what if I've already used them up?

I remember my first great love, his name was James. We were 4 and he sat next to me in pre-school. I was the only one who could call him "Jimbo" and I started putting ketchup on my hot dog because of him. During snack time, he would eat my celery after I took the peanut butter off so I wouldn't get in trouble.

Jimbo moved, I think, because he wasn't there for Kindergarten. But years later, he ended up working at the same place as one of my friend's. From what I was told, he hadn't changed much and was still as cute as can be. I think I saw him at the beach, back when I still went home every summer. It was one of those movie moments, when you see someone you think you know and time stands still. But then again, it could have been another hot surfer boy.

Who knew my second great love would come the following year. I loved Paul A from the minute I laid eyes on him. He was the cutest 5 year old ever! And for the next 3 years he was all mine. Granted this did cause a tiff between me and one of my oldest friends, she kept trying to steal him away, but it never worked. She finally got him all to herself after I moved to Tennessee. But then Paul moved to California, or something.

Paul was the first boy I ever kissed, in the doll corner...during nap time. And he was the first boy to give me jewelry for my brithday. He set the bar high for all those who attempted to follow.

So now what? If that article was true and we only get two great loves, where do I go from here? Am I out of luck? Or do we really have 3?

No comments:

Post a Comment