Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Something old is new again

I love working in downtown Knoxville, but I have one complaint, I wish we had more restaurants to pick from. Well, I'm stating to get my wish. One of my favorite local restaurants moved from the Old City to the 500 block of Gay Street.

Yup, Nama Sushi Bar is now 2 blocks from my office! That's one thing I miss about Hawaii, the food!

Jessica, Sharon & I made it to their "VIP Friends and Family" private dining event for their soft opening a few nights ago. It gave us a chance to sample the menu and help them work out the kinks.

I'm trying to expand my tastes. I normally go for the standard California Roll, but added the Crunchy Shrimp to my list. After Monday, I found a new favorite:

The Pizza Roll --> snow crab, smoked salmon, and avocado topped with TNT sauce and baked.
Drizzled with eel sauce and finished with bonito flakes and green onion.
Jason missed out on Monday, so he and I hit up the "official" opening today. I don't remember which sushi he got, but I just remember it had the fantasy sauce & it was good too!
They had a lot of their rolls on a "lunch" menu for just $8.00. You also get miso soup and choice of house, cucumber or seaweed salad. If you don't want a salad, you can substitute and get edamame. We opted for that. I had no idea Jason had never eaten edamame before and it was hilarious!
I told him not to eat the entire pod, like one of our friends had done the night before. But the beans kept flying all over the table. I wish I had taken a video of the event. I shouldn't make too much fun of him, I did the same thing Monday night.
Nama's making a huge effort to cater to the busy downtown lunch crowd. We were in and out within an hour and didn't have to rush through our meal. I hear in a few weeks, they are going to have even more items listed on the lunch menu. Chicken and rice bowls, noodle bowls, more hot items. I wonder if I could convince Sweetwater Brad to dine there too? Or would that be too much of a stretch for a country boy?

No comments:

Post a Comment