Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What we've got here...is a failure to communicate...

Seems like communication, or miscommunication is a hot topic this month. I don't like to blog about my job too much, because I like to keep this upbeat and funny, but there are some things that have really started to annoy me between the hours of 8:00-5:00.

I feel like we have a tattle-tale (TT) in our department and this is what is annoying me the most. You know, there's always one person who thinks they're better than everyone else and thinks the rules don't apply to them. Or better yet, that they're above the rules. .

Maybe some of my HR friends will have a different perspective on the TT. I was always raised to respect the chain of command. If there is a specific problem, take it up with your direct supervisor. If he or she can not correct it, take it up with the department manager and if that can't fix it, then take it up with HR.

I understand there may be certain personal issues that should go straight to HR, but I think the TT chose the wrong route, this time.

Here's the thing, we have been allowed to go "casual" on Friday's. That means jeans and sneakers are OK, but no t-shirts, basically, don't come in looking like a slob. Prior of this "casual day Friday", we were told 2 things: #1 - no Uggs, #2 - no skinny jeans.

I have no idea why we're not allowed to wear Uggs and I guess I can see that on some people, skinny jeans would not look work appropriate.

Well, we had a few people in my department wear skinny jeans. So I understand they weren't following the initial rule, but the TT went straight to HR and submitted a complaint. But they didn't complain about anything. I was expecting it to be "so and so wore skinny jeans & I don't feel they were appropriate."

But no, all the note said was something to the effect of "so and so was wearing skinny jeans on Friday, I think you (HR) should know."

Maybe I'm overreacting because the person that got in trouble is my friend, but why did the TT not take it up with one of the Team Leader's or dept. manager first. In my opinion, it could have been resolved with a simple "reminder" e-mail. Like, "hey everyone, I hope you're enjoying the casual days, but let's remember blah...blah...blah...."

Granted, if Skinny Jeans doesn't own regular jeans, they should wear the normal dress slacks, skirt or dress. But why start a war. Skinny Jeans has an idea of who the TT is...and I can tell you right now there is no love loss between the two. But all this has done is create more drama and friction within the department.

Why can't we open the lines of communication?

2 comments:

  1. Always follow the chain of command unless it involves something criminal, physical harm or sexual harassment. Then you can go straight to HR. To be honest HR does not have time for petty little things like skinny jeans. If I were your HR person I would call up TT and tell him to take it up with his supervisor...and I have done that several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good insight, thanks! Sadly, I do not think our HR Director even has an HR backround. Kinda makes you wonder, huh?

    ReplyDelete