Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scoop'd

Any business with the tag line "bringing you Hawaii one scoop at a time" is going to catch my attention. In case you're wondering, Scoop'd did get my attention with one little menu item....Hawaiian style shave ice.

I don't eat snow cones, I eat shave ice. I guess you can take the girl off the island, but you can't take the Island out of the girl.  Hawaiian style shave ice is actually 'shaved' off the block. It's very soft and fine. They are traditionally served with one scoop of vanilla ice cream or azuki bean paste in the bottom of the cup/cone. Some stores will drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the top. This is normally called a "snow cap".


 
Since I missed the soft grand opening on Thursday, I ventured out there this afternoon. As soon as I walked up to the counter, one of the owner's, Crystal, welcomed me into the store. Another good example of the power of social media.

I already knew I was going to get a shave ice, but there were so many flavors of ice cream & sorbets, I had to stop and drool at the glass. I got a sample of the red velvet ice cream and fell in love. I will be back for that one. I'm pretty sure I saw Kona coffee ice cream on the menu as well. That is my all-time favorite flavor. So, I'll be going back for more anytime I'm out in Turkey Creek.

But back to the shave ice, I ordered my  usual strawberry and was pleased to see the plastic cups they used, just like back home. I got 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream and couldn't wait to taste it. Crystal looked a little nervous, but had no need to be. It was perfect! It was better than the one I got at Lappert's Ice Cream in Vegas. If they had those little wooden spoons, it would have felt like I was 5 again.

There are a lot of different things out there, not just shave ice & ice cream. They offer cakes & pies, sundae's, floats, sorbet's and even coffee. The space is open and bright and very comfortable.

I think I'll take my mom out there when she drives in for the Bristol race. I give this place 2 shaka signs. I hope you all stop by for a visit, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment