Monday, June 21, 2010

I want to cut my hair...

...but I don't want to waste it.

Did I lose you? Let me explain...my hair is extremely thick & heavy...not to mention a very, very dark brown. It basically traps the heat in the summer and likes to make my life miserable.

When I was in college, I donated 14 inches of my hair to Locks of Love. A non-profit organization that works to provide hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children who suffer from long-term medical hair loss.

Cancer has touched my family more times than I'd like to remember, but the one thing I remember about my aunt and my cousin during their battle was the wigs they bought. It made them feel good about themselves and give them a sense of normalcy. It's the little things we take for granted that can make all the difference in the world to someone else.

Locks of Love not only provides hairpieces to children who suffer from cancer, but alopecia, an auto-immune disease that causes hair follicles to shut down, as well.

The last time I donated my hair was November of 2008. I think it was 12 inches long at the time. If I had to guess, I'd say I have a few more inches to go before I can donate again. I made a promise to myself a long time ago...as long as I had the hair to donate, I'd do it. Guess I should stop complaining about how hot or heavy it is and think how happy and confident it could make someone else.

So, if you hear me complaining about its weight....please remind me to think about the "big picture"...


Pre-donation in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment