Thursday, January 5, 2012

There are way too many college bowl games...

Don't get me wrong, I love college football as much as the next girl, but there's nothing special about bowl season. I was an advertising major in college...I know it's all about the publicity, but I miss the good old days when the bowls had simple names...like the Citrus and Peach Bowl.

A few years ago, the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls had the best match-ups...I personally don't like the BCS National Championship Game being it's own thing. I liked it better when 1 of the Big 4 was the championship game. A la the 1999 Fiesta Bowl. The National Champion was clad in Big Orange that night, so I may be a little partial.

But let's be serious, some of these bowl names are down right silly. The "GoDaddy.com" Bowl, The "Famous Idaho Potato" Bowl, The "Kraft Fight Hunger" Bowl...I could go on, but I won't.

Part of their advertising is working...I remember the name, but will I buy the product....chances are slim. If I'm not mistaken, Notre Dame played in a the "Poulan Weed-eater" Bowl several years ago. I think that's normally the Independence Bowl, but till this day I still say, "...remember the time ND played in that weed-eater" game..."


For the record, I never bought a Poulan Weed-eater.

No comments:

Post a Comment