Monday, January 30, 2012

I hate parking tickets

I work downtown and have to park in one of the many lots near my office. I have been parking in the same lot for almost four years. I pay monthly and have never been late with a payment.

Prior to 2011, you got a new paper hang tag each month. In January 2011, these paper tags were replaced with plastic hangers with a microchip or something. Your license plate is suppose to be linked to your parking account, so if the tag thing won't scan, the parking checkers can type in your tag.

Well, about four months ago, I left the office, only to find a $45.00 ticket on my windshield.

#1 I already pay $77.00 a month
#2 my account was paid in full for the month
#3 my hang tag was clearly visible
#4 I've been parking there for four years

In order for me to resolve the issue, I had to contact a third party collections agency. Here's what set me off. I could not speak to a live person. I have to submit my appeal in writing. What kind of customer service is that?

Thankfully, I did not have to pay that ticket.

Here's where the fun begins. I got another ticket on the 19th. Guess what, my account was paid in full, my hand tag was clearly visible and I still have the same car.

I submitted my appeal like last time. However instead of getting the ticket dismissed. I was told I only had to pay $10.00, instead of the $45.00. And I only have 10 days to do so.

Not only is this complete garbage, but I haven't been able to get in contact with the local Central Parking office in Knoxville. I had to take time out of my day to actually walk into the office with the ticket and explain the situation.

A woman I had never seen before was working in the office and told me it was probably a glitch in the system and she would contact the collections agency as well to ensure this situation was resolved. She was suppose to cc: me on the e-mail.

Guess what, I never got an e-mail and don't have time to run down to the local office everyday. But this is it. I'm going to have to knock on doors again tomorrow.

This is an example of bad customer service. I am strongly considering canceling my account with Central Parking. I shouldn't have to wonder if I'm going to find a ticket on my car after a long day of work.

Thanks to the power of Twitter, I actually had a chance to be interviewed by one of the local news stations as they were doing a story on parking in downtown Knoxville. I had way too much going on in the office to make this work, but I should have made the time. Next time, I'm not saying "no".

2 comments: