Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Moving in slow motion

As much as I love to travel, it's beginning to take its toll on me. I feel like I need to hit the "pause" button and just decompress. I think this feeling comes from being in an airport/airplane with stupid people.

I've been flying for a long as I can remember and flying solo since I was 10 or so. I mean really, is it that difficult to read a departure board? Or ask the gate agent for directions?

But my biggest travel pet peeve, people who don't understand how to pack a proper hand carry and how to properly stow one without being in everyone else's way. And what part of "2" hand carry bags can some people not understand? I don't care what size the bags are, if you have more than 2, one of them needs to be checked.

I also can't stand people that freak out and yell at the gate agents if they miss their flight or if there is a delay. I used to get upset when my travel plans were disrupted, but how will flipping out solve the situation? I got stuck in Dallas last summer. When I got to my gate, the boarding door had just closed, but before I landed I knew there was a pretty good chance I'd miss the last flight to Knoxville. I was more upset that I'd have to take an extra day off from work.

There were several other upset travelers, but leaving Vegas I was told that if I missed the connection, AA would put me up in a hotel, give me food vouchers & get me out on the first available flight the next morning. The lady next to me lost her cool & started screaming at the agent who was trying to assist her. He offered her a hotel, food & transportation. She declined because she wanted to sleep at the airport. Explain to me how sleeping in the airport would make a plane arrive faster?

I chose to hotel option. By that point, all I wanted was a shower, dinner and a bed. Thankfully I over packed and had an extra outfit to wear home the next morning.

Several of my friends have had major issues with Delta. I haven't had any major issues with them, but I still have 2 more trips to take this year. Let's hope they don't let me down in July & November!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Delta...Me and Delta don't mix well together. I have been stuck in an airport for hours upon hours thanks to Delta. But I have never yelled at anyone. I find that playing nice gets you much futher. And if someone wants to give me a hotel and food I will gladly stay anywhere as long is it is on my way home and does not delay my vacay. The one time I got stuck over night Delta offered me nothing. We just don't get along...

    ReplyDelete