Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mountain Adventures

Our Smoky Mountain adventures consisted of outdoor adventures on Saturday. Thankfully, we had beautiful weather. After a quick breakfast in the cabin, hats off to Chef's Allyson & Jessica, we headed to Laurel Falls for a quick hike. Yes, I really hiked. Good thing it wasn't too hot, so I didn't get all sweaty.

I have to be honest, all I could think about was zip lining. I've wanted to do that forever! I got a little worried when our first zip lining choice was already full on Friday, but I'm glad things worked out the way they did. We ended up booking with Foxfire Mountain and I'm already thinking about my return visit.

The people there were so friendly and down to earth. I loved our guides, although I can only remember Tim's name. Maybe because he was the one hooking us up to the line, I had to trust him. But "College Dude" who gave all the instructions was awesome and "Trainee" was just as cool.

Things did not start off too well for me, as I fell before we even to the first practice line. I fell on one of those little bridge thingys. I still have no idea how that happened, but what ever, someone had to do something stupid, so it might as well have been me.

Once I got hooked up to the lines, I didn't want to stop. I tried to "Superman", but it didn't work out to well, you end up on your back and have to get all twisted back in the right spot. I kept worrying that I wouldn't get turned around fast enough and slam myself into a tree.

Foxfire is home to the longest, 1500 feet and highest, 600 foot line in East Tennessee. Trainee wouldn't let me to tricks on that one, but told me I could on the last line. Just to be on the safe side, Tim had me tuck into a ball and give me a shove...so I wouldn't get stuck on the line. By the time we got to the last line, it was hard to believe almost 2 hours had passed. Jessica took off first and tried the "helicopter". I wanted to try something different, so Tim suggested I hang upside down. Sold! 

And now...time for the picture show....

I dropped my water bottle in mountain water

How pretty

View from above

God's Country

Dear Trainee, please buckle me up good

Let's get this show on the road

Easy peasy

The calm before the storm

The 1st platform, no biggie

Yes, I'm going backward to see the waterfall

weeeeeeee.......

1500 feet, longest line in East Tennessee, I needed a little help

Stupid bridge, at least I didn't fall on this one

Forget Superman, I'm Batman

No comments:

Post a Comment