Sunday, January 23, 2011

Maybe I'm old school...

...but when you ask for money in lieu of wedding gifts, I find that tacky. My problem with this started last year when someone I knew got married and made no secret they would prefer to receive cash to pay for a honeymoon instead of a traditional gift.

Here's my take on the matter, if you're old enough to get married, you should be old enough to budget accordingly. I have no problem if the couple shared this information with a select group of friends, but when I'm checking out your wedding website for general information, that's not something I want to read. Your finances are not my business, but when I see this, I feel a bit put off.

I understand some couples may not need/want traditional gifts, but I almost feel like I'm being told to give money and that I'll be judged based on the amount I give.

I'd almost rather a couple request a donation be made to their favorite charity. I would have no problem with that one bit.

I'm done with my rant and I hope no one finds this offensive, but it's just not how I was raised. But I guess times are a changing.

3 comments:

  1. When we got married, someone told me about the honeymoon registries, I wasn't sold on the idea. We just didn't take one! Maybe someday we will just have a special anniversary trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honeymoon registries. If I see on I always get something off that for the gift. I like the idea of giving someone a little piece of their honeymoon as a wedding gift. That memory will outlast any material item. I do however think it is tacky to ask for cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, gave me a different perspective on the matter!

    ReplyDelete