Monday, November 28, 2011

Time for a little dim sum

I'm still shocked we made it to Chinatown for 11AM dim sum the day after the wedding. I'm pretty sure Guinn & I didn't make it back to the hotel till after 2:30AM. Special thanks to the cleaning lady who knocked on our door a little after 9AM, freaked us out and got us moving.

I'm so glad she did, or else we would have missed a feast! There was one item that I had to have, Cha Siu Bao (pork buns). I'm pretty sure I would have stabbed someone's eye out with my chopstick if they got in the way.

We headed to Jing Fong for the dim sum. This is a great way to try new and different dishes. The carts are filled with small servings and you just take the dishes you want. Granted, there was a small language barrier, but we had Karen. Even though she did tell me I ate a bacon wrapped pigeon.

I could pick out the important words like, "pork", "shrimp" and "bacon".

The bacon wrapped pigeon story is one I'll never forget. This was one of the last dishes we tried, but it makes for a fitting end. A cart came around and I could smell the bacon and all the server said to me was "bacon". I didn't care what the bacon was wrapped around. It was deep fried for goodness sakes, how could it be bad?

There were 4 bacon wrapped balls. I took one, Guinn, Duane and Russell took the others. I took a bite and thought it was pretty good. The boys waited while Karen tried to figure out what was wrapped in the middle. As I'm still chewing, I see Karen's expression change. The next thing I hear is her say, "Don't worry about it." The boys put their bacon down and I finally swallow.

I asked Karen what I just ate and her response, "pigeon". I have to be honest it was a pretty tasty bird, then we found out the truth....it was pork.



Cha Siu Bao


Heaven in a bun

Not bacon wrapped pigeon, but pork

No comments:

Post a Comment