Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Let's hear it for New York...

Whew, it's hard to believe that a week ago I was packing...and getting ready to head to NYC for Anne & David's wedding. I think I've been running on about 5 hours of sleep since I got back to Knoxville.

Speaking of New York, it was just as fantastic as I remember and getting a chance to spend time with old friends made it even better.

Day 1

Flight delayed almost 2.5 hours since LGA was closed due to fog. Had to land in Newburg to refuel. I think that's near West Point. All I know is, the airport reminded me of the one in 'The Langoliers".

Finally make it to the City and have the quickest car ride to the hotel. Since the room was under Karen's name, Pinky & I dropped our bags and went looking for food (there was a lot of eating on this trip).

Found L&L Hawaiian BBQ. My belly was happy after I filled it with teri chicken, mac salad, rice & guava juice. After lunch we took a quick stroll to the South Seaport & walked over to Wall Street.

Down at Pier 17

the Brooklyn Bridge is under renovation

Hello, lover

New York Stock Exchange

Karen, Russell & Mary Ellen and company all arrived at the same time later that evening. We had tickets to the 9/11 Memorial and let me tell you, it was a sight to see. I stood there and was filled with so many different emotions. I still can't believe how two large buildings stood in that small space.

Where were you on that September day?


A survivor...old rough bark, pre 9/11...smooth new branches, regrowth

I lost if after reading the first sentence

After that, we headed to Les Halles to meet Anne for dinner. By the time we got there, Mary Ellen and her family were already seated and I think Anne about ran into us at the door. It was a wonderful meal and a good time to catch up before the wedding craziness began.


faux-filet Bercy (NY sirloin with red wine butter)

Profiteroles

Our next to last stop was a little bar in Chelsea...the Trailer Park. It was the most fantastic dive bar I have ever seen. They offer PBR in a can, for goodness sakes!


 That would be champagne in a can

The night would not have been complete without one last pit stop...PIZZA!! Who knew the perfect pizza was just across the street from our hotel.


Might be the best pizza I've ever eaten

That's Day 1 in a nutshell...3 more days to go...more to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment