Sunday, March 6, 2011

Road Trip

And just like that, it's officially "vacation" season. Jessica & I loaded up the car to meet up with our friends Allyson & Adaya in Savannah, GA. This little trip couldn't have come at a better time. It was nice to chill with good friends and get a way from the grind, even if it was just for a weekend.

We weren't able to squeeze in a stop at Paula Deen's, The Lady and Son's, but that's OK, we found another place to start our eating adventure. We found our way to the Crystal Beer Parlor for lunch & any place with a "Sweet-tini" is a winner in my book. I normally don't drink a lot of martini's, but who could pass that up? It was delish, by the way.

We hit up the Olde Pink House for dinner before our midnight zombie tour. Once I saw "bacon whipped mashed potatoes", I was sold. Our meals were wonderful and the setting was beautiful, but we were seated near a very large, very loud & drunk group. Did I mention they were much older than us? But, at least it wasn't us acting a fool!

After dinner, we made a quick pit stop at the hotel to fill up our Tervis tumblers with a little Firefly & lemonade before our midnight zombie tour. The tour was interesting, but it could have been a touch spookier. I thought we'd actually be going into old buildings and stuff like that. I did not pee my pants out of fear. I had to potty mid way thru, but I don't do porta-potties, so I had to wait till the end. I didn't catch any crazy goblins on film, but there were a lot of orbs in my photos. Maybe it was the flash reflecting off the windows...or maybe the spirits were trying to send me a message. Either way, it was fun.

By Saturday, we were ready to hit up Tybee Island. We hiked up 178 steps to the top of the lighthouse and the view was well worth it. I totally forgot it was Mardi Gras weekend and little did we know, a parade was about to start near the lighthouse when we tried to leave.

The guy in charge had no idea what was going on, or how to direct us to our next lunch spot. This was a total, "WWDDD?" moment. Meaning, "What would Diamond Dave Do?". Simple, if Diamond Dave were with us, he'd have us at the front, leading the way & he'd be the Grand Marshall riding on the back of the car. He would also have the spectators throwing beads at him, while passing him drinks.

Sadly, since we didn't have Diamond Dave, we had to find our own way out. But we did find our way to AJ's Dockside. Yet another good & relaxing meal. The sun even made an appearance for a bit. And any place that serves homemade key lime pie is a winner in my book.

After lunch we headed to the beach. It was still a little chilly, so my toes did not touch the water, but I did wiggle them in the sand for few minutes. The highlight of my afternoon would have to be the mini-goat that was dressed for Mardi Gras. It was so cute!! It had a little green skirt & feather boa. I want a mini-goat, now.

Jessica & I stopped for a little pick-me up once we got back to Savannah. We hit up Lulu's. She got her coffee & I found the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in a glass. A key lime martini. I could drink one of those bad boys all day long.

Before we knew it, it was time for another meal. B. Mattew's did not disappoint! I had the bacon & bleu cheese pasta salad to go with my chicken salad pita. Now why haven't I put bacon & bleu cheese in a pasta salad before? Pure genius if you ask me!!

How did we end our worldwind weekend in Savannah? By going to Club 51. It was actually across the street from Paula Deen's. I wonder if Paula hits the dance floor too?

Let's just say what I saw in there was not what I expected. There were 3 levels of dance floors, but each had full length wall mirrors. The people watching was well worth the cover price. I still can't figure out if those were locals or visitors? Either way, we didn't last long there.

And that in a nutshell was Savannah...photos will follow.

1 comment:

  1. Diamond Dave would have found the closest Hooters and had a beer or 5 after leading the parade.

    ReplyDelete