Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11...nine years later

I woke up this morning with the following Zac Brown Band lyrics in my head, "I thank God for my life & for the stars and stripes...may freedom forever fly, let it ring..."

Nine years ago, our world was forever changed. I'll never forget where I was when I found out the Pentagon and Twin Towers had been attacked. I was in Hodges Library, on the University of Tennessee campus. I was finishing an advertising project and decided to surf the web before I headed to my next class. And then I saw it, one of the Twin Towers in New York City smoking....then an image I still can't get out of my head...the second plane headed straight for the other Tower.

I ran into a few friends on my way out of the library and couldn't get my head around what was going on. I felt sick, like I was in a daze. I kept thinking, how could this happen? Why would this happen? Then I got angry. I was angry because it was such a cowardly act. How dare these terrorists take so many innocent lives & how dare they do it on American soil.

I come from a military family, I knew we were headed toward war & I knew there was a chance I'd have to see some family & friends sent overseas. My uncle, a long retired Marine helicopter pilot, went down to the Marine base in Hawaii to re-enlist. Due to his age, he was turned away.

But that's what I loved seeing, love for and pride in our country. We would not be where we are today without the service and sacrifice of these brave men and women. For that, I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment