Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sometimes the truth hurts...

In the work place, I'm a big believer in earning your stripes and being promoted for based on job performance and qualifications. I don't think anyone should be promoted just because they think they deserve it or because of who you know. If that were the case, who wouldn't think they "deserve" a promotion or raise.

But since I like to live in reality, I know sometimes moving on up the ladder can sometimes depend more on who you know and less on merit. I personally don't think it's fair, but life's not fair. Stuff happens.

There is an open position that would be a promotion for several people, friend, included. However, some of the "qualifications", in my opinion, are stronger in some of the people in my department. That doesn't mean I don't think my friend "deserves" the promotion, I simply think there are others who may be better suited for  it.

Apparently this upset said friend and in turn this makes me a bad friend because I wouldn't go to bat for them. Uh, maybe I missed something, but I have nothing to do with the hiring process. I tried to clarify the difference, in my mind, between "deserving" something and being "qualified". That didn't go over very well.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment