Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The flip side...

Found out today that one of my co-workers will be leaving the company at the end of the month to pursue another avenue. I'm happy for him and I knew he needed a change. But the thing that stuck me was the lack of vacation time he'll have at his new job.

Yes, yes...I know the whole point is to "work", but I guess I've just been spoiled the past few years. I didn't get the full details, but my buddy will only have 5 PTO days, but all the bank holidays off. There's something about earning an extra PTO day for each month you don't have an unexcused absence.

I don't know what I would do if my PTO days were cut. My 1st year I had 10 days. For my 2nd-4th years I had 24, but could "carry over" 5 so I had 29 days to play with. Year 5-current, I got 29+5, so for the past 2 years, I've had 34 PTO days in the bank.

Now that sounds like a lot, but that's to cover everything from sick/personal days, to holidays, to vacation. My PTO just reset in May, after the Memorial Day holiday, I'll have 33 days to burn, but my Hawaii trip will eat another 7 days. This kind of freaks me out, but I have to keep reminding myself that I took similar time off in 2010 when I went to Key West and Vegas in the same week. Now that was a stressful packing situation. Speaking of which....I need to put the finishing touches on the current packing mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment