Sunday, May 15, 2011

Unplug...unwind...

My love of traveling has been well documented. Some would call it an art. I call it a "break from reality". I actually planned on getting on an airplane last week, but due to a few scheduling conflicts, it didn't happen.

All was not lost. I still took time off and spent the week with my family in Nashville. In years past, if one of my trips had to be canceled, I would cancel my PTO and just go into work. But this time, I still had 5 days to burn and being a bit older & wiser, I'd much rather take the time instead of seeing that time wasted on my next paycheck.

There were times when I dreaded taking time off, I was always worried about what would happen to my team when I wasn't in the office. Luckily, that didn't last long. It was not a healthy feeling. I have rule, I don't think about work until I actually walk back into the office. If my e-mail is full, oh well, I'll clean it out.

I think September and October are the only months that currently aren't booked with trips. There's a reason for that, a little thing called 'football season'.

But do you know what's even better? I get a fresh set of vacation days tomorrow. Once I factor out the rest of my trips, I'll have to find time for a quick getaway before football season...I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment