Monday, June 10, 2013

The Power of Social Media

Last night I randomly logged on to my Fly Delta app to verify my AMEX points had properly transferred to my Sky Miles account. The points are fine, but I noticed my itinerary for a November trip and been thrown out of whack.

When I initially booked the trip, I was suppose to fly from Knoxville to Memphis, then on the Vegas. Well, it would appear the TYS to MEM flights have been cut. My new itinerary had me going from Knoxville to Atlanta to Memphis, then on to Vegas.

Aside from it looking completely stupid on paper, the updated flights would have caused me to miss my Vegas connection in Memphis. Since Delta took it upon themselves to re-book my fight, why didn't they just have me fly to ATL then on to LAS?

By the time I found this issue, it was after 11PM and I was not about to call the 800 # at that hour. I was not able to change my flights online, which annoyed me even more. So, I did the next best thing. I vented my frustrations on Twitter. What happened next shocked me.

Not long after my tweet to Delta, I got a response from their @DeltaAssist account. All I had to do was direct message them my confirmation # and they would look into the problem and see if they could find a solution. 

My issue was fixed in less than 10 minutes and they re-routed me on my first choice out of Atlanta. All of this was corrected without additional charges and without me having to sit on hold for 45+ minutes.

I've had my issues with Delta in the past, but lately, my flights have been taking off on schedule and arriving a little ahead of schedule. Hope this continues.

Several companies could learn a thing or two from this experience. I do not advocate taking to social media to bash companies, but if I see areas they can improve their service, I will continue to speak my mind.

Bravo Delta, I look forward to gaining more Sky Miles to use toward future adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment